Monday, July 30, 2012

July 30, 2012. Luke is with Family Tonight!


Today has actually been more amazing than I could have ever imagined.  Now, it's been a little tricky, don't get me wrong, but nothing important is easy!  Lucia picked me up to receive Luke at the Civil Affairs Office today at 2:00PM.  She asked me the same thing as Miss Cai... "Why are you so early?"  I'll state the obvious... no one has ever said that to me before!  It was a whirlwind, and fast.  I'm in a room with other families of varied size and shape, everyone know everyone else is feeling just what he or she is! Lucia told me Luke hadn't arrived yet, and I was a bit unsettled.  She told me sit down and stay there... That's fine!  Very shortly thereafter, she said "he's here, come with me!".  

We walked just a few feet to an open space, and I saw Luke for the first time.  He looked just beautiful, and just as I had imagined!  Lucia told me that today was his first time in a car, and that he was quite carsick on the way to Guangzhou (3 hours).  The assistant director quickly motioned that I take him, and I hesitated a bit, because I thought it was so fast for a baby.  I saw Luke look at me square in my eyes, and blink, looking at me once more.

He recognized me. The orphanage said they had showed him my picture, and told him that I was on my way.  Luke opened his arms toward me, and I honestly followed his lead.  He wrapped his legs around my waist, and put his arms on my shoulders.  He fit just perfectly!  As it was meant to be!  He and I sat for a few minutes, my son and I, already comfortable.  The couple next to me watched, thinking "We're next!". The husband picked up my camera and just started taking pictures of Luke and I. I'm telling you, amazing!  The office was very hot, as it was 100 degrees outside, and Luke and I were holding on tight to each other.  He is an incredibly observant little boy, watching everyone's ins and outs, everyone's every movement.  We had to stop at the market after our appointment... Luke took it all in, but it was so hot, and I knew he didn't feel good.  Back at the hotel, Lucia helped me with ever detail... Paperwork, formula, crib, and stroller!  

I tried to explain 'sack of potatoes' to Lucia, as that's exactly what Luke was... Almost sleeping while sitting up.  After Lucia left, I fed Luke several Cheerios and a bit of banana.  He enjoyed both... He didn't want his bottle of formula.  He's a very clear communicator, and easy for me to read already (so far).  He puts his hand and arm up to block what he doesn't want, or have interest in.  He's on his second sleep... First for about 90 minutes.  He woke up just in time to Skype with Grandma.  Good boy.  He let me know when he was too tired to continue.  'Nite, Grandma!'.  He is very affectionate, and just thus far, he is who I thought he would be.  He loves to be sung to, and our mutual favorite is 'You are My Sunshine.'.  We make a lovely family already.  

Our first day together has been blessed, we're just very sleepy.  Nite, and all our love!



                    




5 comments:

  1. Oh Wendy, what a wonderful day you have had. I have loved reading about your adventures and visits to so many interesting places. Hearing about the ever helpful Miss Cai had been fun and ever so nice. But today when I read your blog and saw how connected you and Luke instantly were - I got goose bumps. Oh Mama, how wonderful and blessed you both are to be together at last. I can't wait to hear more.
    Blessing and peace be with you both dear friend.
    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious! What a great beginning! You are both so blessed! When Bella first met us, she had no interest in getting acquainted. Even gave me "the look". I'm so happy he went to you right away. I thought of you first thing this morning...put a smile on my face at 6 AM. Hope you can get some rest. Blessings, brook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooo excited for you and Luke!!! The blog has been a wonderful idea!!! Enjoy this precious bonding time, can't wait to read some more!!!XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above post was from me, APRIL...it didn't tag for some reason...user error I'm sure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you Wendy. I prayed without ceasing that all would go great and it has. Thank God for all blessings. Love you and Luke, Trish

    ReplyDelete