Saturday, August 18, 2012

August 18, 2012! We're Happy to be Home!

Luke and I are all settled in from our extensive travels!  It took a couple of days to recover from the flights.  We took a van with Lucia to the Guangzhou airport for our 3 hour flight to Shanghai.  We then had a 4 hour layover, before our 14 hour flight to Newark, New Jersey.  After a few hours in New Jersey, we left for Dayton, Ohio!  Luke did so well on all of our flights, and he received many compliments and well wishes from friendly travelers on the way.  He cried just once on our international flight when I woke him up to change his diaper before the flight attendants started serving dinner!  Just that one time... it was amazing.  A lady approached me at the end of our long 14 hours, and said, "I saw your baby sleeping so comfortably on your lap during the flight, and I wanted to let you know, I think you have the best baby!"  I told her that Luke and I had been together for just a short 2 weeks, but that we trusted each other right away, and that he always seemed to feel comfortable with me.  She congratulated Luke and I, and we all went on our way. 

The flights themselves were never a problem, as everyone was quite helpful.  People walking up and down the aisle were picking up blankets, sweatshirts, and stacking cups for me each time they passed me by!  I thought that was very kind and a little funny, actually!  I asked a man sitting in my row if I could put my Diet Coke on his tray table while I changed the baby!  Diet Coke was extremely difficult to find in China, and it was my first in almost 2 weeks.  When I returned with Luke, the man had fallen asleep, both hands tightly holding my can of soda, safe and sound!  I met so many nice people. 

The employees of the Newark airport deserve an award for kindness!  Because I was flying internationally, I had to pick up my luggage, go through immigration and customs, check my bags again, and go through security once again.  That was quite difficult for me to do on my own!  On my way to check my luggage, an airport employee waved me over.  She really said nothing, just lifted up the rope fencing, and waved me through.  There I was standing in front of the man loading bags onto the conveyor belts that go straight to the airplanes!  I couldn't believe my blessing!  As I continued walking, I could see more what seemed like hundreds of people standing in line to check their bags!  After I left, I found another employee, showed him my boarding pass, and asked him which direction I should go next.  He looked at me and shook his head.  He said, "Oh, you have to go to Terminal A..."  I asked if that was far, and he said, "Very far.  Follow me, let's go!"  He left his station, and took me all the way to the gates!  What a very nice young man!  Luke is doing just fine, all this time!  I walked into the terminal, and realized there was a problem!  There were people sleeping on the floors, and not a chair in sight.  I started to cry a bit at that point!  I found out there had been an air traffic control tower struck by lightning the previous day, and a lightning storm earlier that morning.  My flight to Dayton left on time, and without a hitch!  Luke and I are so blessed!  We made it home safe and sound on August 10, 2012 at around midnight.  We were greeted by Grandma, Bob, and Koko at the airport. 

We have had a little adjusting to do with the 12 hour time change, and Mommy is a bit tired this week.  It's hard to imagine that Luke has been home for a week already!  What a great week!  He is a happy baby, wakes up smiling, and sleeps pretty easily!  He's just very happy, smiles all the time, and has an amazing sense of humor.  The dogs are a non-event for Luke, for the most part.  He tries to pet them, and he rubs their ears.  He doesn't seem to mind when the mailman comes, and they bark a little extra!  We went to lunch with Grandma's friends from work, and my friends from work.  Everyone is just over the moon for this little boy!  What a gift!  It has been a pleasure sharing our celebration with friends and family, and I thank everyone for their continuous love and support. 



 




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for coming to lunch with us when you were so exhausted...I had the best time ignoring everyone to play with Luke!!! Love reading the blog and snooping on your life ;) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea... That unknown is me..April.. I really need to fix that..

    ReplyDelete