Monday, August 20, 2012

August 20, 2012. International Adoption Center!

Today was a big day for my son and our family.  Luke had his 4 hour intake evaluation at the International Adoption Center of Cincinnati Children's.  We packed up, and headed out the door first thing this morning... I actually had to wake up the baby in order to be on time.  We had no trouble on the road, and we showed up right on time.  I couldn't figure out how to unfold Luke's stroller in the parking lot, of course, and asked a complete stranger to help.  He did, without question, and i soon learned he spoke little English.  People are good.  Everyone was just so wonderful, unbelievably kind and welcoming!  Everyone thought Luke was a real looker!  We first met with the nurse, then the OT, then the Social Worker (looking for many things, but one of them, most certainly, attachment!).  Luke did so well.  Everyone asked a lot of questions, and Mommy knew most of the answers!  It was such a nice process, as each service provider was passing on information to the next throughout our entire appointment.  Our doctor was the final visitor, and she was amazing!  She wants Luke to put on weight, and I need to give him richer foods, but still healthy foods.  Whole milk, more yogurt, butter, cheese, etc.  Basically, all of the yummy foods!  Good boy, Luke!  Everyone told me they very much know that he loves Mommy very much.  I was told today that it is very typical to see children a bit more indifferent with their adoptive parents!  Not Luke and I... We are thick as thieves!  The 2 vaccinations were quite tough for both he and I... I wasn't prepared for that.  I cried afterward!  I cried a lot, and told them that I was very tired.  Grandma told me it wasn't because I was tired, that every Mother cries during vaccinations!  We said goodbye to all, and went downstairs to the lab so that Luke could give blood.  After the vaccination tears, our doctor suggested we have a bite to eat at the cafe... Great idea!  We all ate lunch, and waited for someone to call Luke's name.  After a while, it was our turn, and Luke needed to give blood for lab tests.  I have to say, there were more empty bottles to be filled than I could have ever predicted!  I actually asked the lab tech, bless her heart, if a child with suspected anemia should give this much blood!  She was kind and understanding, as they all were.  After the needle stick, Luke just watched and sucked his thumb.  Good boy.  Tonight, at bedtime, he gave me each of his band aids... One by one!  Thank you, Luke!  Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment