Sunday, August 5, 2012

Friday, August 3, 2012! Trip to Orphanage


I must tell you, before I tell you about our great day... Luke is on such a tremendous learning curve, he truly wakes up every morning with a new skill! It's just that fast!  He's a very observant and smart boy... His gifts will take him quite far in his life, I am sure of that!

This morning our wake up call went off at 6:00am, and the phone scared poor Luke... It was quite loud.  I gave him his bottle, got ready myself, and gave Luke his bath in the sink!  We went downstairs for breakfast, and met Lucia at 8:30am to leave for Luke's orphanage.  It was just under 3 hours away by car.  Our driver had a very nice van, which really made a difference in the heat!  Luke and I were very comfortable... He slept and I enjoyed the transition in scenery from one part of the country to the next.  I put him in a little onesie for the trip because it's just that hot and humid.  I put a great little outfit in my backpack, to wear when we visited the orphanage, because I just wanted him to look great for this important day!  Well, my dear baby, Mommy is now realizing that almost all of your clothes are a bit too big! We're going to have to go back to Ohio and shrink a few things!  You are still so handsome, sweetheart!

I was very anxious when we pulled up to the orphanage.  We were in the city of YangJiang, located in YangDong County.  We were greeted by the Director of the orphanage, led into a large room with a conference table. The room held many display cases of adopted children and families.  The room quickly started filling up with professionals from the adoption agency... From memory, it seems maybe there were about 6-8 people, plus Lucia, Luke, and myself.  I could tell they started talking about how he looked.  Lucia told me that she reassured them that Luke no longer gets carsick, and that his stomach is fine.  They said he looks good, they were very nice and gracious, but I must say, I was incredibly intimidated.  Luke was a little stressed to have so many eyes on him, combined with the awareness of returning to the orphanage.  I never took my eyes off of Luke's eyes, and Lucia's for that matter.  Luke was never scared, just watchful.  He never fussed, all day... He actually just soaked it in.  There were several ladies that wanted to hold Luke and spend a few moments with him.  I have to admit, that was very hard for me to do... To let go of him there, at his orphanage.  I did it anyway, and quickly realized that we were all safe, and that these ladies love Luke very much.  He would not be the kind, attentive, affectionate, and dear boy that he is if these ladies had not facilitated those traits in him.  None the less, I was struggling with a touch of fear.  We were allowed to enter Luke's room and visit with the other children.  The Director told Lucia that Luke had heat inside of him, and that his lips were dry, as a result.  Lucia translated for me, and I did my best to reassure him that I would take care of the heat inside of him, making his lips dry!  I was just really nervous!  We were permitted to take a picture of Luke's crib, and Lucia took pictures of the building and the garden for me.  She has been nothing but lovely.  Luke and the other children played outside every morning after breakfast, until lunch.  Luke was incredibly well cared for by very loving women!  I'm incredible glad we visited, and grateful to have the knowledge to tell Luke about his very early childhood in China!

Luke lived on the third floor.  YangJiang is very close to the ocean, and as a result, reminded me very much of Florida... Pink buildings and white buildings to reflect the sun, none more than 4-5 stories high, surrounded by tropical foliage and palm trees.

At the end of our visit and tour, Lucia informed me that the Director and staff would like to take us to a very nice lunch.  We all nodded, smiled, and returned to our own vehicles.  Again, I'm just a bit nervous at this point, and having a difficult time shaking it.  Luke is doing so well!  We drove to a beautiful hotel, YangJiang ChangJiang International Hotel.  We all walked into a private room and sat at a circular table.  The staff members were talking to Lucia about Luke's appetite... They all remembered he has a very strong appetite!  That was endearing, because he does!  Well, sure enough, when the pressure is on, and I want my baby to show them his strong appetite for big boy solids and finger foods, he wants nothing to eat!  Luke spits everything out of his mouth that I try to give him!  Oh, baby!  Now is not the time... Please eat for everyone!  Sure enough, as the meal progressed, and everyone was involved in they're own side-conversations, the eyes were slowly less and less on Luke.  He really puts the brakes on when all eyes are on him, sometimes even with me.  He started eating like a champ after everyone quit watching!  He loved the dumplings, red peppers, small pieces of teriyaki beef, and a rice noodle cooked into fried egg.  Lunch was lovely, and the orphanage staff was very gracious.  They all smiled and nodded at Luke and I on our way out of the restaurant... We all shook hands, thanked each other, and went on our separate ways.  I would say the day was stressful and quite a success!  What important information I gathered today for Luke.  I feel blessed to know so much about his early young life in China.  This will undoubtedly be extremely important to him as he grows older, and invaluable to me now and forever!  Time to go dance to lullabies with baby Luke!  I know you will all just love this baby... He is amazing!
I have to tell you, a bit off topic, but ... We're in the bedroom with the drapes pulled because Luke is so sleepy from the day!  He's not sleeping, but just relaxing and letting go of the day.  He moves a lot, even when he's relaxing... Fiddles with his blanket, sucks his thumb, wants to hold hands, etc.  The reason I mention this, is that he just pinched the top of my knee, a nice, strong pinch, as if saying, "Alright, well, there is her knee!". Right after, he looked up at me, and reached up to hold hands!  It actually made me laugh! He's very direct!

           



















             


1 comment: