Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wednesday, August 1, 2012. A Morning of Many Firsts


Yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon, after our 3 appointments, in combination with the heat, Luke was exhausted!  I wanted to just get a bit more water and banana in him before nap, and I'm so grateful I was able to... I put Luke down for his nap at 1:00 yesterday afternoon, and he wasn't fully awake until about 7:30 this morning!  I have never seen anything quite like it before!  I was laying next to him most of that time, and he was very content and cuddly... Just exhausted.  No coughing or runny eyes/nose after we're in the hotel for awhile.  I think Luke has seasonal allergies like Mommy... Sorry sweetheart!  Did I mention that while at the Notary yesterday, a guide from another adoption agency was visiting with Lucia and I.  He was from China, but wearing an OSU Buckeyes shirt!  I told Lucia how funny I thought that was!  To my point, he told me that Luke looked like me!  I said nothing, just smiled.  He said "Really, the shape of your face is the same as his, and your cheeks are the same... Lips too, but not nose or hair.". I smiled and nodded.  That was sweet!

Well, this morning was a morning of many firsts for Luke and I together!  Most importantly, Luke drank his first bottle, and I was so relieved.  He just needed a day or two to settle in a bit.  I'm not hungry when I'm under tremendous stress, either.  Occasionally, he would toss his bottle a bit, as in protest.  I suppose he was looking to see how I would react.  Well, I just helped him put the bottle back in his mouth.  He seemed interested in the whole dance.  Now, the funny thing here, is that before I offered him the bottle, I offered him his sippy cup of water... I was not expecting him to want his bottle.  He took almost the whole bottle, but rarely let go of that sippy cup!  He's not kidding with that red sippy cup!

Today was Luke's first shampoo and first water play, with me.  He was just fine with his little sink bath and shampoo... Played with a few cups in the water.  The Assistant Director of Luke's orphanage said the children were given baths.  I asked him, specifically wanting to know if Luke would be afraid of sitting in water.  He's not!  He smells just like all the other Johnson & Johnson babies out there, now!

To be quite honest, this morning was a milestone in play for Luke, with me.  Today is the first day I saw him really play and show interest/curiosity in his toys.  He loves his stacking cups and rings the most, but the comb and brush are interesting, too!  After bath and Mommy's shower, Luke and I made the adventure to Breakfast in the Garden Hotel lobby.  Mommy wanted to push the envelope, and see if Luke was interested in any solid foods.  Luke has his first many bites of waffle and he enjoyed his first bites hash browns as well.  He did enjoy a small bite of chicken, but that was just for my future reference.  He had already had plenty at that point!  The crowd was a bit stressful for him, I could tell.  When we returned to our room after breakfast, I gave him his first of three rounds of antibiotic, just for good measure... He's being exposed to so many new environments very, very quickly!  What a great morning!  We like to watch the Olympics with the sound down, and play soft music when we're in our room.  I have to admit, though, Luke and I watched how Land Rovers were made on the Discovery Channel our first night together!

Our trip to the Police Department for Luke's visa was a success.  I had to wake Luke at 2:30 to meet Lucia at 3:00 in the lobby.  We ran into the guide wearing the OSU shirt that said Luke looked like me.  He offered Lucia and I a ride with his family, as he had plenty of room, and we were all going to the same place.  It was nice to visit with this family from Illinois on the ride and at the station.  The mother told me that Luke and I communicate very well, so early.  I thanked her.  Lucia told me that Luke looked very good today, that he looked good with me, and that his face was healthy and relaxed.  She said, "He drinks so much water!"... This is true, now that he's discovered water, but then so do I!  This story is not complete without again mentioning the red sippy cup.  He has such pride of ownership with this cup!  Today, we took the sippy cup on the road, and so Luke discovered the little blue cap that closes the sippy cup.  He loves the blue cap just as much as the sippy cup itself!  Sippy cups ROCK!  Sometimes it is the small pleasures in life.  Luke needs so much sleep and quiet rest right now.  After 18 hours of sleep yesterday, I already mentioned I had to wake Luke to make our 3:00 appointment.  As soon as we arrived back in our room after the Police Department, I changed his diaper, put him in a little onesie, and off to sleep.  I realized today, quite likely, why Luke wakes up crying during daytime naps, but not during the night... I'm not always next to him during the daytime naps, I am at night.  Bless his heart... Can you imagine these past 72 hours for a 20 month old baby?  He's such a beautiful boy!








      







1 comment:

  1. You're a natural! I didn't even think to bring a sippy cup with us to China. What a blessing he is sleeping so much. Thanks for the pictures and updates. I'm checking several times a day to see if there's a new update. Enjoy your sweet Luke!

    ReplyDelete